[Dailydrool] How do I STOP my Basset from barking???? HELP

Nancy Sevenpifer nancy7pifer at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:27:02 PST 2009

Hello Everyone,

Last time I wrote to the Drool I asked how to stop my Basset hound from vomiting Bile in the mornings around 5:30 to 6:00 am and many people responded to me and suggested I give him milk bones, etc. before he goes to bed as it is am empty stomach that is causing this...thanks to all of you, you where absolutely right!!! NO more vomiting!!! and no more getting up to that terrible retching noise and bile mess!! I am grateful to the Drool

He is 3 years old, a beautiful male, not fixed...problem is...when someone comes to the door, or knocks, or rings the door bell, I can't get him to STOP barking, he goes absolutely nuts.  Even when I tell him to stop, he won't listen...he goes crazy!!  When he is out in the run and sees other dogs go by he doesn't think about what is going on, he is so anxious to bark and so excited that he even steps in his own feces....what a mess.:(  He doesn't hear me talking to him, or calling for him to come in...he goes into this crazy barking mode...and LOUD

When people come to my door I can't even converse with them the noise is so bad...its embarrassing.  I have even tried to show him they are "friends" but NO WAY.  I know it sounds like an obedience problem but I don't know how to handle it.

We had him as a puppy and he grew up with a Chihuahua and she was really yappy.  She taught him everything he knows, and even trained him to go outside quickly.  She has passed away and I bought another Chihuahua, in an odd twist the basset has taught the little dog to bark like crazy too.

As a side thought, this dog only does something if you give him a treat first.  No treat, no reaction.  Even if I dangle a treat in front of him to stop barking that doesn't work either?????

The noise is totally unbearable.  I can't talk to anyone in my own home.  HELP!!!    any idears Droolers???    AAARRRooooooooooooooo