[Dailydrool] Patricia B. McConnell books on understanding dogs, shy dogs, and separation anxiety

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Nov 6 07:09:24 PST 2009

Recently I was writing/compiling a book about dogs (you may hear more about
it when it comes out, but I just sent it to the publisher). I hit the
library for information and ran across a really good book/writer.

When I worked at Moon Doggie, one of the customers was taking courses on
behavioral training. Patricia B. McConnell was running it, and he could not
find enough good things to say about her.  So when I found her book THE
OTHER END OF THE LEASH: WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO AROUND DOGS, I had to grab it.
I have been picking at the book a bit, but last night I got the chance to
sit down for a while and really read. I'm about fifty pages into it, and I
think this is a wonderful book for those of us who want to understand how
dogs think. I mostly picked it up to try to get a handle on our difficult
Abner. But I am enjoying learning about all the ways we mistakenly
communicate with our hounds, even the easy-to-understand ones. She explains
how humans think and how dogs think. Often we seem to be on such totally
separate courses that it's amazing we communicate at all. For example, we
probably all think the best way to train a dog is with spoken commands, but
according to a study, most dogs respond to body language more consistently
than to voice commands.

She's one of those behavioral people with a PhD, but she is so wise about
dogs in a commonplace way, too. It's obvious that she adores her own
dogs--she has a Great Pyrenees and a number of border collies. But she
understands that not all dogs are border-collie obedient and tells of her
own troubles communicating accurately with her dogs. She is definitely a
trainer who believes in gentle training methods.

When I went to look online for it, I discovered she has two other booklets
that might help other Droolers. Though I have not read them, I can imagine
she could be very helpful. The books are:

CAUTIOUS CANINE: HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS (30 pages, $6.25 at
Barnes & Noble)
I'LL BE HOME SOON: HOW TO PREVENT AND TREAT SEPARATION ANXIETY (37 pages,
$6.30 at Barnes & Noble)

I'm enjoying THE OTHER END OF THE LEASH so much, I plan to put it on my
Christmas list. I need to read and reread this book, and maybe even mark it
up a bit (something I never do with books). There's a lot of good
information here.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets