[Dailydrool] Remembering the golden oldie days of the Drool

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Sat Nov 7 06:27:38 PST 2009

Karen Muchmore writes in Daily Drool #15:

While my  memory is not so good, I think two of my favorite drool stories
were both  compliments of Beth Hinchliffe,I apologize if I have the wrong
basset. The  stories I remember were a basset and a newly tarred driveway and a
girl too  big for Santa's lap. Thanks for the laughs.

Karen  Muchmore
-------------------------

Oh Karen -- thank you for remembering my Duchess!  Yes, those stories  were
both of her.  I hadn't thought of Duchess on poor Santa's lap in ages  --
thanks for bringing back the memory, I laughed again.  She was just such  a
magnificent mountain of glorious bassetness that Santa was quietly  horrified
when he saw her being hoisted up onto him, and suddenly the  ho-ho-hoing
stopped.  Once we settled as much of her as we could on  his equally ample
lap, we noticed that a not-unsubstantial amount of  her extra-fluffy butt oozed
over and his elves had to bring in a table to  support the unanchored rear
end (hers, not his).  I don't know who looked  more miserable in the
subsequent picture.  (I guess it was Duchess, though,  since I'd dressed her in a
Christmas outfit, with a Santa hat on her poor old  head, and a too-tight
Santa suit that cinched her in the middle like a  generously-stuffed
tri-colored sausage.)

And the driveway story ... I can still picture her at the door, all wagging
 in greeting, and the only things recognizable were her eyes, because the
rest of  her was slathered in fresh tar from where she'd slid and flopped
across the  newly-resurfaced driveway.

I'm so touched you thought of her.  My Daily Drool family has been  such a
big part of my life -- and my heart -- for 14 years now.  Duchess  and I
were in on the Drool right from the beginning, when our noble Nancy  created
this special place.  There were less than a dozen of us  originally, we'd met
on AOL which used to have special interest groups -- you  can guess what our
special interest was.  In 1995, Nancy knew we were meant  to be a family,
so she created the Drool and gave us a home.  I think that  was also the year
of the first howliday card exchange.

What memories of all these years!  The shared joys and heartbreaks ...  the
wonderful new friends ... and the incredible, loving, deep, and true
support  this remarkable family has shared with each other.  I really don't know
how  I could have made it through losing Duchess ... and Blueberry ... and
most  recently Emma ... without all of you.

This has been a wonderful thread.  A great way to celebrate what the  Drool
means to each of us -- whether we've been here 14 years or 14 days.   It's
family!

Love to all the houndies,
Beth H. (Duchess ATB, Blueberry ATB, and Emma ATB)