[Dailydrool] Neck pain???

jaxh412 at aol.com jaxh412 at aol.com
Sat Nov 7 14:44:41 PST 2009

Hi, I haven't posted in a while; but find myself needing some basset hound owner help. My Truman is a 6yr old male basset with no history of back/neck pain, I know amazing for a basset!! He woke-up thursday morning very lethargic, weak and shaky. We took him to the vet, they couldn't find any specific points of pain and did abdominal x-rays on him, found that his intestines were very full and he was slightly dehydrated, so they gave him fluids, a b-12 injection, and pain injection. well that night he was extremely plainful, unable to go up the stairs, unable to get up on the couch, everytime he changes positions he cries. so fri morning we went back to the vet, did bloodwork and more x-rays, they noticed some disc change in his neck and said that was the problem, sent us home last night with tramadol, derramax, and diazepam(valium) to help him relax. so last night he paced around the house all evening, couldn't get comfortable, i sat up rubbing his neck all night long, neither of us slept,  now he hasn't had a bowel movement in over 24 hours, he is extremely gassy and he is very painful and uncomfortable. the vet and i have been on and off the phone all day and they are thinking about switching him to prednisone... i was wondering if anyone out there has had a basset with neck issues that sound similar to this and what the outcome/treatment was.
Thanks from a sleepy, worried houndy mom.

=