[Dailydrool] Pro-biotics?

Sarah sarah.moore1 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 7 18:53:31 PST 2009

Penny has irritable bowel or inflammatory bowel or something and takes
probiotics occasionally.  When she was first diagnosed she was on them for
two months but now she just takes them when her tummy flares up.  I start
her on them again when I notice her eating grass (or the rug if it is too
wet for her highness to venture outside for long) or when she passes mucus
with her poops.

Probiotics and her new special diet (chicken and rice with added vitamins,
fiber, bonemeal, fish oil and canola oil) have made a major difference to
Penny and she now only has a flare up every 6 or 7 weeks or so.  The vet
said that even this should settle down as soon as everyone else stops "being
nice" to Penny and feeding her people food as she seems to be allergic to
gluten and beef.

The probiotics seem to settle the intestines rather than affect the immune
system although I have heard that, for people, taking probiotics seems to
ward off the flu so everyone here takes them now (I buy powdered, unflavored
stuff to sneak into food for my youngest daughter who is even more finicky
than Penny if that is possible).

Sarah