[Dailydrool] neck pain

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Sun Nov 8 06:09:47 PST 2009

I went through a blown neck disc with a Dachshund about 15 years ago and an injured lower back in a Basset last year.   Our Dachshund was mis-diagnosed for over 3 weeks by our regular vet.  Prednisone worked for pain while he was taking it, but pain returned when he stopped.
If it is a disc anywhere Truman needs crate rest NOW to avoid permanent injury.  No trying to do anything .  Potty only on a leash.

X-rays do not always show the problem.  Truman needs to be seen by an orthopedic vet and probably needs a milogram to pinpoint the problem.  Our Basset got better with pain meds, crate rest (3 weeks minimum) and acupuncture.     Sam (Dachshund) was in so much pain before surgery I truly was going to put him to sleep until we found a decent orthopedic vet/surgeon.   He couldn't even lower his head to drink water with out screaming.  The Dachshund needed surgery but made a full recovery.

Of course we also had a Basset who had similar symptoms but she had a gas bubble.

Dogs who are panting and shaking are in distress.   Disc issues are hard to pinpoint with stress released adrenaline masking the pain when we take them to the vet.  If you ever suspect a disc, crate them immediately and find a vet who either knows the breed or orthopedics.   The dogs do not need to go down to suspect a disc.
With quick and proper treatment your dog can return to a full and happy pain free life.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com

http://www.dachshund-wpdc.org/