[Dailydrool] Sweet Sarah ATB

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Sun Nov 8 04:44:08 PST 2009

At 1:30 this morning, I heard Sarah get up from her dog bed and go to the kitchen for her usual middle-of-the-night drink of water. I listened for her to come back, which she did, and I heard her licking her paw or something. Frank, who sleeps on our bed, jumped off and went over to Sarah, I guess; it was not his usual behavior. The next thing I know, Bill flipped on a light and said, "I think Sarah is having a stroke or something!" He had been listening, too, and something just didn't sound right to him, so he got up.

Sarah's eyes were sort of wobbling around, her brown eyebrows were twitching, and she kept trying to get up and couldn't. Bill held her and tried to make her feel safe, and we tried to assess what was going on. She did know we were there, it didn't seem like she was having a seizure, and it didn't improve any after a few minutes. I called the emergency vet, described her symptoms, and they said we'll see you as soon as you can get here.

So Bill carried her out to his Element, and he laid in the back and held her while I drove to the vet. After checking her over, the vet guessed a stroke or possibly a brain tumor. We signed the little paper and both cried and held Sarah as the vet helped her to the Bridge, around 3:00 am.

Thanks to you Droolers, I was able to stay with Sarah while they gave her that last shot. We've had many dogs over the years, and this was the first time I "stayed". Since I was brave, Bill was, too, and I'm so grateful now that we comforted Sarah to the very end.

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank
And Sweet Sarah ATB, forever in our hearts.