[Dailydrool] Joining the Drool

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 08:30:12 PST 2009

  We joined the Drool the evening (Jan. 24, 2004) we brought our Rosie home from Rescue.  She was dreadfully ill and I just could not sleep so I brought her little box where she was sleeping (after her Vet visit, bath, meds and lots of TLC from the kids) over near my computer and started my research.

   I never had a dog before - although, as a child, I brought home more than my share of strays.  I knew NOTHING about Bassets -  only that I fell in love with Rosie the moment I saw her.  She was approx 6 mos. old, red and white and she was so skinny.  The Rescue had picked her up from a kill shelter the day before we saw her.  They said she wasn't eating and was just laying under a bush.  They brought her to me and laid her in my arms and she looked me in the eyes and that was it.  She felt so very warm to me and when I mentioned it to them the had the Vet on staff check her and they found she had a high temp and she was diagnosed with "Miami Crud".  Miami Crud, it turns out, is Kennel Cough combined with another virus and had the kill shelter would have put her down had they known she had it.

   Rosie was on three types of meds and she was settled in and I couldn't sleep so I figured I might as well do my internet research on the Basset.  A short time into my search, I found "The Drool" and have been learning from the site every since.  Of course, I've cried my share of tears after reading sad stories, I chuckled till my sides hurt after reading all the funny antics these clowns partake in.  I've shared stories about our Rosie - who Never goes into the trash, never bit anyone, never chewed the furniture and although I enjoy the stories I always look at her and Thank her for being such a good dog.  We just got lucky - or maybe she knows the fate she was rescued from.  She is the love of our lives and the Drool has been an great learning tool and a wonderful family to share with. And, if it weren't for the Drool we'd never know about "Blue Ear Power" or "Caruso's Oatmeal Biscuits" which are a favorite of Rosie's and most of the dogs in the neighborhood.

   Thank you Daily Drool and those who make it work and those who open their hearts and share the fun, help and even the sadness...

Carol and Rosie in Florida