[Dailydrool] Poop Eating/Potty Cage

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Tue Nov 10 13:49:15 PST 2009

Several years ago, one of our fosters, Watson, was adopted by a military family from Oregon. I didn't want to let him go, but they had 3 small children and an adorable basset named Frodo to be Watson's friend. When we met them at a local park, Watson tried to climb in their van and go home with them--so I knew it was meant to be. They had a great idea-- they had a fairly large dog run in their backyard. They walked the dogs out to the run, which was only the potty place. They were not left there more than a few minutes. They were taught that was THE place. The rest of the yard was clean for the babies to play.  I don't have small children, but I thought at the time this was a wonderful idea if you do-- If I remember, Frodo made a beeline for the potty pen, and they never even shut him in. They did put a leash on Watson and take him directly there until he got the idea. I have known people (including my neighbor with a boxer) who train their dog to only go in one area of the yard. When I was reading the poop eating/flagging suggestions, I thought this might help someone.
--
Marilyn Briggs