[Dailydrool] Aggressiveness in a normally tame girl

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Wed Nov 11 14:39:39 PST 2009

I lost Calypso to the Bridge about 3 months back...It still hurts most of the time.  She was definitely the Alpha girl, she didnt take any crap from Harley, a 4 years her junior rescue.  When Calypso passed, I had Harley pretty much solo for a month when the opportunity to adopt Annabelle came up.  She was and still is an absolute sweetheart, she never has a day.  Always loving on me, my girlfriend, Harley, etc.  I couldn't not love her if I tried.  She brings me much joy and reminds me so much of my Calypso, its not funny.  And she is very very intelligent.  A schemer, if you will.

So on to the aggressiveness issue.  Harley took over as Alpha when Calypso passed.  Harley is about 3 years older than Annabelle.  However, Annabelle might have 10 pounds on her.  When I brought Annabelle home for the first time, we had a few tussles, in which Harley pretty much set the rules straight for Annabelle.  I interceded when necessary, making sure no one got hurt.  However, of late, Harley has decided that she has to give Annabelle what for on a regular basis.  Harley was never aggressive before Annabelle got there.  But I have had to break up a few fights, one involving a bit of bloodshed.

Harley likes to sleep on the love seat in our bedroom.  Annabelle likes to be in the bed.  The Bed is past the loveseat, and Annabelle must go past Harley to get into bed.  When I let them out in the morning when I get up, I get them both cookies. Then I head for the shower. Harley gets back on the loveseat.  When Annabelle tries to go to the bed, Harley growls at her.  If Annabelle persists, Harley jumps off the bed and attacks her.  And I have to break them up.  Several days, I have found Annabelle laying on the linoleum floor, because Harley was growling at her and she didnt want to try and go past her.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this aggressiveness out of Harley?   I am afraid that it will happen when no one is home and one of them will get hurt.

Tom,
Slave to Annabelle, Harley, and Calypso (ATB)