[Dailydrool] Aggressiveness in a normally tame girl

Jessica L. Spear jessica.spear at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 07:16:34 PST 2009

We have had a similar issue with our basset, Shamus.  He was just a little angel in the beginning, but didn't like it when a new basset, Liam, settled into is home.  We tried a lot of different tactics, even hiring an expensive behaviorist to vist our house for a few weeks.  Here's what worked best for us:

First, don't set him up to fail.  Make sure the triggers for his behavior are removed.  For us it was toys of any kind and our sleeping arrangments.  Shamus would growl at Liam in the middle of the night, and we'd wake up to find Liam sleeping in the hallway instead of his warm bed in our bedroom.  So now, Liam is nestled quite warmly between my husband and I while Shamus sleeps in his bed on the floor.  We also separated them when we were at work so we could keep them both safe and happy.

Second, observe Harley.  What are his warning signs?  Growling? twitching lip? "evil eyes" (as we call it)?

Third, find a suitable distraction.  For Shamus it was his squeeky toys.  We have squeeky toys hidden in every room in the house.

Whenever Shamus shows a warning sign we squeek the toy and throw it.  We are careful to hold onto Liam so that he doesn't go after the toy as well.  Shamus snaps out of his grumpiness immediately and we play fetch for a few minutes.  He then forgets he's upset.  Not only does it stop the behavior in its tracks, but the behavior started to disappear all together.

They actually seem to like each other.  Now we are comfortable with leaving them together while we're at work, and they seem happier this way.  They even refuse to go on a walk without the other one!  The squeeky toy trick worked for us, but maybe Harley has a different favorite distraction.  Give it a try, maybe it will work for you too!

Best Wishes,
Jessie, Matt, Shamus & Liam