[Dailydrool] Overheating Houndie?

Heather Tupper heathnic16 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 07:47:07 PST 2009

I have been on the drool for a couple years, but I am a lurker.  However, we have a situation at our house that I would like some advice on.

One of my boys, Barney has been having night time sickie issues.  He will be 6 at the end of this month.  He is a healthy boy, no medical issues.  Lately though, we have been awakened nearly every night by that horrid sound of sick doggie.  It has been at different times (sometimes 4am, 5am, 6am, last night it was 11pm).  He has no other symptoms, he eats with gusto, drinks normal amounts of water, wrestles with his brother and runs the 500.  We have had no changes in food or anything else.  Dinner time is typically about 7pm every night.

So, my husband and I have basically concluded that he is getting too hot.  He sleeps in the living room(uncrated) which is the warmest room in the house at night.  We have a wood burning stove and try and not get the temperature too sweltering.

Does anyone have any advice on this?  I don't want him to have to sleep in the garage (which is attached to our house and has the doggie door out to the back yard) for the rest of the winter.  Thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated!

Heather, mom to Marvin and Barney (calender boys, Dec. 1, 2009)