[Dailydrool] angry over mill bust

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Wed Nov 18 13:38:18 PST 2009

With the help of ABC basset rescue, we are saving 8 hounds from the st Louis area. make that 7.  Please send drool to this poor baby who never got to live the "good life" as our babies are able to..

The male who should have weighed 70 pounds was a mere 50 pounds and just died on the table.

The  conditions they are living in are HORRID.   We picked up the Bassets last night from inside a barn, it was completely dark with NO electricity for light.    The barn floor was dirt covered with straw, so we are too assume the shelties are on mud. They were all huddled together in wire pens.  The only "partial" protection they had was a make shift lean-to's that were not large enough to protect against anything.

The breeders property is probably 5-10 miles off a dirt road way back in the woods, the conditions of the property are similar to the junk yard, there is stuff just strewn EVERYWHERE.....her mobile home being smack in the middle of it!  The breeders appearance was less than desirable as well but she was pleasant to deal with and did provide us with the correct paperwork.  We never met the husband!

The Bassets are either in "obese" body weight condition or extremely "poor" body weight condition....there is no one in the middle. The male we picked up should easily weight 65-70 lbs and weighs 50 and is incredibly skinny.  They are COVERED in fleas, enough to the point where our rescue vet is having to wait to do surgeries due to the sheer infestation & getting enough of them killed with Frontline spray.

The sad part is that there are 10 shelties still there. We are working with sheltie rescue in the hopes we can get them out safely. They do not know at this time if they can help them. We are so grateful that ABC is working with us to help these poor unfortunte souls.

At least the miller called rescue instead of sending them to auction eventhough I cant imagine that another breeder would take these in such horrible shape.