[Dailydrool] One of those days

Gail Blann gail at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 19 09:56:47 PST 2009

Ok, I'm new to the this website and I've been reading for a couple of weeks
now but this message really hit home.

We've had bassets for years - our first, Missy ATB was rescued from the
Humane League and we still miss her terribly.  Since then we have had Abby
ATB, Fred ATB and now Katy and just recently rescued Rocco.

Katy's registered name is Katydid It and boy does she ever live up to that
name.  All of them have been counter cruisers and Fred did some pretty silly
things (like coming home to find a 5 ft long tree branch in the living room
that he somehow figured out how to get through the newly installed dog door)
 but Katy has been the one with the most energy and resourcefulness of all
of them.  She can speed race around the yard so fast that it's absolutely
amazing.  She learned early on that if she grabbed something and ran out the
dog door and raced around the yard that we would give her a slice of cheese
rather than chase her.  At this point (she's now 5) she will just grab and
run to the dog door and wait for her cheese.  She will even wake her Dad up
in the middle of the night just for a slice of cheese (she knows better than
to wake up Mom).  She has Dad well-trained.

We recently rescued Rocco and although she is definitely the one in control
she is rapidly teaching him all her tricks.  They both absolutely love to
sit in the front windowsill (like a couple of fat cats) and watch the world
go by but when they are outside it's like watching the Daytona 500.  When
Rocco gets his belly rubbed he makes noises that sound exactly like
Chewbacca from Star Wars - I think maybe we should change his name to Chewie
  We've never had a basset that makes those kind of sounds.

I don't know what we'd do without them - they are so much like children and
they definitely keep our lives interesting.

Message: 20