[Dailydrool] Last night

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Fri Nov 20 01:32:33 PST 2009

My daughter and I took the dogs for a walk. We were going down the High Street to get to the seafront, when we were approached and talked at by a drunk tramp. I always find this hard. I believe he is harmless (he is a local fixture), but he is slightly booze-aggresive. Anyway, as he sleeps on the seafront, we decided to change direction to get away from him and headed round the back of the shopping centre.

As we started to cross the duel carriageway, lo and behold, guess who started to cross from the other side? Another basset!! (and his slave, of course). I sort-of let out a squeak and was told firmly "Behave yourself mum. Not everyone feels like you do". So we get to the central reservation at the same time as the other basset. I said something like "Good evening, nice to see...." and was cut across by "Oh my God. More bassets. Oh I love bassets. I've had them for 30 years".

So there we stood, in the Central reservation for the next 10 minutes talking basset, with cars flying either side of us, other pedestrians stepping round us and me and this man talking like a couple of new mums comparing our offspring.

Of course, I have no idea what the man was called, but his 1-year-old, mainly red and white, but tricolour basset was Watson.
It is so rare to meet another basset in this country. What a treat!

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK