[Dailydrool] How to for dried sweet potato treats

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 04:40:30 PST 2009

Am forwarding this for Esther Strom

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:54:27 -0800
From: esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] How to for Dried Sweet Potato treats?
To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org

I saved it years ago; still have not tried it... what can I say? I'm lazy.

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:34:02 ESTFrom: Houndy2 at aol.comSubject: [Dailydrool] Sharing Simone's Secret Rescue Treet Recipe With        DDTo: dailydrool at proctorhome.net Simone's Yammy Treets Aunty Sandy first gave us good advice about
making these. Here is the BEST SECRET: The trick is to just DO
IT...MAKE THEM that's all. Just make em and you will be amazed! Just
make em! You won't be sorry the hounds will LOVE them and you will find
it is wayyy easy. All dogs need a good  healthy treet. Especially
Rescue Dogs..so this is what we do here for making home made dog
treets: We buy a big sack of Yams/Sweet Potatoes at Costco Heat your
oven to 350 and then slice up the vegetables (we do ALLLL  vegetables
celery root, beets, potatoes carrots now not just Yams) into  whatever
shapes you please..up to about 1/4 in width)  If I feel strong I just
cut the Yams into LONG slices..takes more muscle  power and a bit more
care so that you don't cut YOURSELF...lol but the dogs just  LOVE a
HUGE "Yammy Chip" as we call em. Lay the coins or slices all around
the pan and tip them up on the lip of the heavy baking sheet. (we have
usedwire  racks but that takes longer to set them in as they sometimes
"fall through" the  rack..and setting them on their sides into the rack
ALSO takes too  long... if you just simply tip up the slices sort of on
the lip and just a  tiny bit over as in a fan...leaving as much surface
to the air as  possible. Fill a couple of heavy baking sheets with the
vegetable slices. Turn  down the oven to 200 and slide in the sheets to
bake for  at least about  and hour and a half then...just quickly flip
all the slices over with your  fingers..no need for forks or
spatulas...believe me we have tried every way  to make this easy...the
reason you need to flip them is to let them dry more on  both sides...
to dry and cook the other side. Take them out when  you think they are
"done" or ..when you have the time...if you forget and they  get
BLACK..you know what..they dogs still just adore them...it is best
though when they still have COLOR and are ..just slightly leathery.
When we first started making these we would put the oven on "Warm" and
put  them in ..in the evening and take them out in the morning. You
will find  the best way for your lifestyle.  I've discovered that it
only takes about 3 hours total to do them...and  that they do not have
to be baked till they are black as we read in a  recipe lol...You can
just take them out when it is convenient for you...  You can not wreck
them. The dogs will adore them. Really.  If you wish to wash the Yams
first with water and a brush..that is  good..but you know..we have
found that the Yams are really clean and we now just wipe them off with
a damp towel and they really are so easy to make.... we  have been
feeding them to the dogs for 6 months like this and there is no
problem...(I used to PEEL the Yams before baking but when "Banjo and
Henry GOBBLED up the pile of peelings...that were on the cutting board
when I left once to answer the door...that's when I stopped peeling the
Yams....why make it  harder than you have to?!)  The trick is to just
try em!  Maybe our dogs are "hard up for treets" with so many dogs in
the house..maybe it IS an orphanage this Rescue  House but we have
tried giving them to  our Friends Pampered  Loved  dogs and they LOVE
them too.