[Dailydrool] baby vets :)

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 23:41:30 PST 2009

Well I don't mind younger, newer vets at all.  My old vet was so stuck in
his ways that it was hard to make him listen to when I was explaining
symptoms.  He also got in the habit of  wanting to charge me into the poor
house for things that I was  already doing at home.  The last straw was when
he and the staff went off on me because I refused to take Ayla in for the
4th  day of monitoring from 8:30 to 5 pm (at $250-$350 a day) after her
major dental (which was over $900) when she was not bouncing back.    From 6
pm to 7:30 am I was syringing CatSure and water into her every 2 hours.  The
worse part was that he said she was about 10 when I first brought my
emaciated little girl in and said fixing her mouth would allow her to gain
weight and be healthy.  I was devastated when our new vet said that she was
a minimun of 17 but he thought she was closer to 18 or 19 and maybe even 20.
Had I know that I would have never put her through the pain for only 4
months more of life.  (Yes I am venting.)

I have since found one of those younger vets who listens to what I am
telling him.  He respects that I am a nurse and that I know when my kidz are
really off kilter.   He also doesn't want to do a bunch of unnecessary tests
but will do the things necessary and we discuss the plan of action.  He is
very open to homeopathic and alternative treatments.  He doesn't charge to
call in a prescription of human meds to the pharmacy and will do that as
soon as the visit is over.  I am also impressed that when you walk into the
waiting room it is not filled with kibble and canned foods.  The best part
is if you have an emergency he takes them in even at the end of the day.
He is also the second vet I have ever met that actually sits in the floor
with my kidz to examine them and then stays in the floor with them giving
belly rubs while he talks to you.  Now that is a vet that truly loves
animals in my opinion.

So cheers to the new and younger vet in our life.  I am thrilled and
thankful we found him.  As long as the newbie is willing to listen to my
concerns and I have input on the plan of action then I have no problem with
a "new to practice" vet.  I look at it as we were all new at something in
our lives.  Through practice, listening, training and experience we became
well seasoned.  We all start at the bottom of the experience ladder and work
ourselves up.  One last thing the new vets of this day have access to
computers and seem more willing to research a problem or even problems
specific to a breed.  My old vet told me to "Quit going online as the
information is wrong".  Yikes.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang