[Dailydrool] vaccinations vs. titers

Georgia Powers georgiapowers at comcast.net
Mon Nov 23 12:51:23 PST 2009

The only problem I ran into regarding titers was that the kennel where
we were boarding our poodle didn't accept titers and required that
dogs show a current, yearly vaccination record. If you board
occasionally or use day care, I think most require vaccination
records. Maybe titers will become more generally accepted in lieu of
yearly vaccination records if more owners resist yearly routine
vaccinations. We haven't had our cat vaccinated for about 3 years now
because he never goes outside and he was fully vaccinated as an
adult.  We don't have to board him however if we're gone because
people come in to feed him. There is a form of vaccine induced cancer
that can strike cats. I don't believe it occurs in dogs.  Somewhere I
read that vets encourage the yearly vaccination routine because it at
least helps motivate people to bring their pets in for an annual exam.
My previous dog did receive 3 year rabies vaccines, which our current
vet doesn't offer.  I haven't yet broached the subject of skipping
vaccines for Eugene because he occasionally goes to day care and is
sometimes boarded there as well .  Georgia and Eugene