[Dailydrool] Reba is on a diet

Tina Zantrofski dzantrofski69 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 23 16:59:07 PST 2009

So, Reba went in for her annual exam today and we were told she is very
overweight at 74 pounds.  Doc told us she needs to lose 20 pounds.  We knew
she was getting a little “fluffy” but boy was 74 pounds a surprise!  She
gets 2 – 2 ½ cups of dry Nutro Max a day ( 1 cup in the morning, 1 – 1 ½
cups at night) with a dollop of nonfat yogurt, maybe a couple dog biscuits
per day and that’s it.  No table food at all.  She doesn’t care for green
beans although will eat them if she is hungry enough.  Doc suggested carrots
instead of biscuits which we have started today and squash if she won’t eat
the beans.  She is very active and runs around the yard with Buddy, our
other dog, for hours.  She is a horrible poop eater and I know this sounds
really gross, but could she be getting all those calories from that??  We
are going to be very diligent with watching the amount of dry food she is
getting daily, substituting vegetables for “cookies” and trying more
exercise.  We are really concerned because doc says if she keeps up adding
more weight, she could have trouble walking within a year and she is only 2!
We went through that with Maggie when she went down in the rear and we are
terrified it could happen again but this time to Reba.  If anyone has any
other suggestions for shedding the pounds, we would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

Tina and chubby monkey, Reba.