[Dailydrool] Fw: Do you know pet CPR and Basic First Aid?

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 26 01:57:41 PST 2009

Tonight I had big scary moments with my senior gal Nelly Belle.  She has
always been a slow eater and chews really well, so tonight was really
abnormal for her.  She decided to bolt her food instead of chewing.  I think
she  was worrying that Sadie Maye might try to steal her food tonight.
(Sadie Maye was already in the "leave it" mode and 10 feet away but I did
notice that Nelly Belle would take a bite then look over at Sadie Maye.)
Luckily I was right there watching or I hate to think what may have happened.
When she started to gag I ran to her side, flipped her on her side did a visual
down her throat then proceeded to stick my hand down her throat because
I could not see anything.  She seemed to be breathing fine, gave me a snooter
and so I let her up.  A minute later she started a high pitch yelp so I grabbed
her, flipped her again and shoved my hand down her throat as I still could not
see anything.  Went back through the same scenario of the snooter kiss and
tail wag. When I let her back up she ran and again did two very high pitched
yelp.  I knew my girl was in big trouble then and a piece of her dinner had to
be lodged far down in her throat in just such a way that when she stood up it
was almost closing off her airway.  Luckily I know the heimlich maneuver and
she was up in the air and flipped upside down before either of us knew what
was happening.  Luckily the food dislodged after a couple of attempts and
she is happily napping on the bed closest to the wood stove right now.

I have a few reasons for sharing this story tonight but none of them are meant
to scare you except maybe the story itself.  First it is important to know CPR and
Basic First Aid for your pets in the event of  an emergency.  If you are not familiar
with the basics please take the time to read up on it and even practice on your pets.
Second, never leave your pets unattended when eating anything including chewies
and treats.  You just never know when they may get something lodged in their throats.
Last but not least try not to panic when something happens.  Remaining cool and calm
in emergencies makes for a much better outcome.  You can fall apart after everything is
under control, like I did tonight.

Of course I am not so sure that Nelly Belle is appreciating how Momma is not letting
her out of my sight tonight.  She really likes her privacy when it is time to do her personal
business and Momma being up her butt is getting me some pretty dirty looks.   My girl is fine, my back and legs are on fire and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang