[Dailydrool] Show Trims

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 06:16:27 PST 2009

This does not involve a Basset, but it is a dog who lives with three of
them,and so he might as well be a Basset.

A number of weeks ago, at the end of October, I had a lump removed from
Cooper's leg and had a show trim done on his nails at the same time.
This is to warn you that show trims are not always a good idea.
I have done many of them.
You cut the nail EVEN with, or a little past, the end of the pad. Never
further up.
The tech who did my show trim, pressed on each nail to cause it to protrude,
then cut. The result was the nail was trimmed BEFORE the end of the pad.I
didn't ask for a de-claw, I asked for a show trim and to make it  worse, I
WAS RIGHT THERE.

A month later almost, Cooper's nails have not even begun to grow back and on
his hindfeet he is walking,literally, (when he walks) [?][?]on the raw quick.
The nails are not there.
Before you decide to do a show trim on your Basset, because we all know what
dorks they can be about nails, go take a look at the photos I included on my
blog this morning, so you can remember what a Show Trim Gone Wrong looks
like.
http://bgszap.blogspot.com/

A Very Angry MomPerson, despite the apologies I have gotten from the Honcho,

A MomPerson who gets angrier every time I soak those poor feet, every time I
see Cooper hobbling across the grassy lawn (no he is not walking on cement
at all.)[?][?]