[Dailydrool] Bleeding cysts and Christmas decorating

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 18:14:03 PST 2009

Shortly after Fred arrived, he developed a lump near where his left front leg attached to his body.  It came on very quickly, and one night when we were sitting on the couch, I noticed that there was a big hole at the top and it was bleeding quite a bit.  I called the vet, and he said it sounded like a ruptured cyst. I don't remember what he told me to do, but I don't even think I had to bring him in...the bleeding stopped and the cyst shrunk on it's own and went away.  He hasn't had another since (knock on wood!)

The first year I had Fred and Annie, they seemed to be afraid of my (VERY tall) Christmas tree, and left it alone.  This lulled me into a false sense of security.  Last year, I came home one night to find my living room rug covered with broken glass ornaments...luckily, the dogs had not been injured.  I made sure to put up a barricade whenever I left the house.  This year, I put the breakable ornaments at the top.  After one day, a few ornaments had made their way to the floor, however it seemed that Fred just took them off the tree and then lost interest...they weren't really damaged.  For the past 2 days, I've layed 2 snack tables in front of the tree (I didn't try to stand them on their sides, because I worried that Fred would knock them over.)  I figured that he wouldn't climb onto them, and therefore would be kept far enough away that he couldn't reach the tree...wrong!!!  Tonight, I came home to find a trolley car ornament that my parents bought me from San Francisco a few years ago chewed to pieces.  I'm going to have to come up with something better...

Rose, Annie (Notice how mommy KNOWS it's Fred who ruined the tree???) and Fred (Hey, how does mommy know it was ME who ruined the tree???)