[Dailydrool] My little dingdong

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:19:30 PDT 2009

How offended was I the other day when someone (we wont name names) said
(while petting Rupert mind you) "wouldn't it be neat if vets could do some
sort of test to tell you if your dog is retarded?" I couldnt help but laugh
while at the same time going into a in-depth response defending Rupert's
actions.

Granted the kid is a little slow. He follows me around a lot, barks
incessantly for no known reason, chases the light from a flashlight and
barks at the reflection created on the ceiling by my metal spatula, but
mentally retarded? I dont buy it. The more we sat and observed him though,
the more humorous he became. He is such a character and I have always just
attributed it to him just being silly, calling him my little dingdong - a
nickname my mom always used on us when we would say stupid stuff as
children. As we observed him, he wandered about the living room,
occasionally voicing his opinion on who knows what. Then he lay on the couch
with his head hanging off the side and slowly slid off the couch onto the
floor. Now if Cowboy had just fallen off the couch unintentionally he'd be
startled and get up to climb back onto the couch, but Ru just oozed onto the
floor and stayed put. It was so funny.

So, of course, I think he's just being a basset hound, albeit not the
brightest one. But I had to share it with those who know these dogs best -
droolers! People always think they're so stupid (bassets, not droolers, lol)
but when he tips over the trash to get leftovers or takes all the food out
of the pantry just to sample each thing, I say he's far from stupid. When he
crawls into my bed and cements himself so that he's impossible to move, I'd
say thats pretty smart. He's found the best bed in the house and convinced
us that its easier for us to readjust then attempt to move his big ol butt
off the bed.

Anyroo, just had to share. Hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy and safe
weekend.
Drool to all in need,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert