[Dailydrool] Elmo update

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 06:21:01 PDT 2009

Elmo's urine culture did grow some really nasty e-coli bacteria
but we are not  yet able to rule out bladder cancer.  Elmo will
continue on the Baytril for several weeks and we will be
monitoring his urine with weekly urinalyses to make sure
we're making progress. We'll also do a culture after he completes
his medication regimen to make sure the infection is gone.  At
that time, we'll also do an ultrasound on his bladder to see if there
is any cancer.

The continuing concern for cancer stems from the appearance
of his bladder on the x-rays done at the emergency vet, but we
are hopeful that this is "just" a really bad infection that festered
and grew after his initial negative test for a UTI at the end of
August.  Having 2 courses of antibiotics for other situations
(a cyst that was drained and a dental) didn't take care of
the infection but probably masked the symptoms.  This all
seems logical (but frustrating) to me so I am really hopeful
that we will get the all clear in time.  But in the meantime,
please remember Elmo  and keep some no cancer drool
coming his way . . .

Thanks and drool going out from the 16 paws to any and
all in need

Donna, drool fueler for Elmo, Pw Pauline, Gracie and
Pw Bosley, missing Dudley ATB