[Dailydrool] Lick granulomas...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Sat Oct 3 06:06:55 PDT 2009

Bev, you said <<

I got in late on Daisy's hot spot, and am wondering, partially because of
placement and partially because of the description of her behavior, whether
it is a hot spot or a lick granuloma. The two are quite different and caused
by totally different things-- hotspots are relatively easy to cure and
appear mostly on the trunk or body of the dog, but lick granulomas come
under the category of psychological activity and are horrible to treat,
nearly impossible to deal with unless you are with the dog 24/7.
 >>? Oh boy, are you on the money. Years ago we had a Doberman/Shepard mix.? She was a sweetheart; loved everyone including other dogs. One day I came home to find a strange dog in our fenced yard. Our 16 yr. old two-legger son had offered to dogsit a pit bull pup while his owner moved, without asking me first. They did fine until my DH made the bonehead mistake of giving the two of them giant Milkbones. The pup finished hers in record time. Peyton was just nibbling on hers, stretching out the enjoyment time, when the pit pup came over and demanded it.? Peyton growled "NO!" and the pit pup attacked her, grabbing her by the neck and would not let go until DH literally pulled them apart. Peyton's neck was bleeding badly and she was yelping in pain and fear after being been attacked in her own yard. She was never the same afterward.? They gave her IV antibiotics, hydrated her and put a drain in her neck.? She was in the vetspital for three or four days. When the IV was removed there was a small, shaved area from it on her foreleg.? She worried and licked at that spot until the day she died, a good six years later!? We tried everything; cortisone shots, various salves including a salve used to heal burns, different types of cones, you name it - to no avail.? The vet scraped it, biopsied it to be sure it wasn't malignant and came to the conclusion that she had the most persistent lick granuloma they had ever seen which would NOT go away because we couldn't get her to stop licking it!? We even brought in a behaviorist and tried all kinds of positive reinforcements - they didn't work either.? We did learn, however, that certain breeds are more prone to getting lick granulomas than others, shepards and doberman being two of them.?

Whatever, this turns out to be, and for your sake I hope it's only a hot spot, good luck.? Here's hoping that your inventive cover works.

Sandi