[Dailydrool] Advice please for Bo of Hawaii re colitis

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 16:26:22 PDT 2009

Aloha. I have just returned from the vetspital after 5 hours of diagnostic tests (squeezed between all the regular appts. of others; thank you Keahou Vets) and half a night of worrying with a sick dog. Now I am looking at I'm not sure how long of shampooing diarrhea off of carpeting in 4 rooms (sorry, landlady), and washing vomit off of slipcovers. Bo is sleeping peacefully on a comforter in the kitchen after severe leaking from both ends for hours. I was sure he had an obstruction, having eaten doG knows what, but x-rays say "not the case this time". This is his second such episode since February, but this one much worse than last. Last time he was tentatively diagnosed "giardia" and samples sent to the mainland for analysis. Last time he took Metronidazole for two weeks, which cleared up the problem. He is back on that medicine as of today.

Our vet has diagnosed "colitis" as the problem. Bo is starting on W/D prescription food only as of today; and if the combination of the Metronidazole and prescription dog food don't solve the problem, there is another medicine possible.

I am wondering if any other Droolers have dogs with colitis, and, if so, how they manage this illness? I am assuming this is a chronic condition with flare-ups occasionally, if it mimicks ulcerative colitis in humans. I have no idea why Bo would develop such a disorder at the age of 6, but will hit the Internet for answers later, after the big clean-up (sigh).

Any advice, shared experience, and drool, of course, would be most welcome. Thank you. Tiredly, Val Brewer and Bo (talk about tired! what's she complaining about? I'm the one suffering) and Harley (mom, why is the house so stinky?)