[Dailydrool] Mouse bait and secondary poisoning (long)

Wendie L Prince houndsabound at att.net
Wed Oct 7 15:44:51 PDT 2009

One of the Bounders, Jenny,  swallowed a fruit rat, whole, one evening.  It was staggering across our yard and while Pat had it pinned under a broom,  yelling for me to get a bag,  Jenny swooped in and got it.
I yelled at her to drop it,  heck I wasn't opening her mouth with a rat in it,  but all I saw was the tail out the side of her mouth, moving.  While both of us were screaming for the other to "do something",  she swallowed it, one gulp, right down, yes she did!
I get the phone and call my vet, no luck as it was 5:50pm, Friday evening.  So I call the ER,  after tons of Bassets it is a number I have on speed dial,   it is 5:50pm Friday evening, they do not open till 6pm.
I had just bought 2 bottles of peroxide the prior day, so I go get one, and a big syringe.  I gave her a couple ccs of hydrogen peroxide and about 5 minutes later, I see the funny smile they make right before they urp!  Glory be,  there came up a whole fruit rat,  of course it was dead by now, which I do not think it was when it went down.
And there was her full dinner too.  She was none too pleased she did not get seconds on that!
Anyhow,  by this time, I am on the phone again with the ER vet and he tells me that she should have been just fine, as indeed it was secondary poisoning.  He said we really should not have casued her to throw it up as the bones could have caused damage.  I reminded him it went down whole.  But I guess the nails cold have been an issue.
Anyhow,  just agreeing with Gaylene about this.  Although,  I do not know if I would have felt good about leaving a whole rat in her belly....Lords know what would have come out the other end.

That is my rat story.   I still have a hard time kissing her on the lips.

wen and the Bounders

Still have the drool flowing for Clara and all in need!