[Dailydrool] Eating poisoned mice

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 01:36:39 PDT 2009

I am sure Gayle knows what she is talking about regarding secondary poisoning, but I must sound a note of caution.

Two years ago my sister's German Shepheard died a very long, drawn-out, painful death after eating a mouse which had been poisoned. This was despite being taken back to the vet repeatedly. When he finally died, the vet did an autopsy free of charge because he was baffled as to what had happened to Asko.

I suspect the issue here was that the mouse had been killed with an illegal substance, as my sister lives in a country where people are very good at getting things under the counter.
But, of course, I can't be sure.

I would add that my own little crossbreed (atb) ate mouse bait and survived after a trip to the vet (although she was very ill). The council assured us dogs would not touch this bait as it was treated with somethig dogs found offensive. Safe to say we never used that bait again. In fact, after that we used traps so there was no risk to the pets or children.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK