[Dailydrool] Animals that won't eat

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 12:59:15 PDT 2009

I am not sure if this advice applies to bassets, but I thought it worth sharing. When our late kitty, Lynx, was going though his troubles with hepatic lipidosis at age 5, and refused to eat, our first step was feeding him strained baby food (chicken, I think) off of one of those little tiny plastic coated baby spoons The technique was to pry his mouth open a little, then inset the spoon and scrape the baby food off on the roof of his mouth. It is important to check with a vet. I don't remember all the details now (it was 8 years ago), but some strained baby foods had ingredients not good for cats or dogs (don't recall what), so I think it was just blenderized chicken and water. This worked well at first, though each feeding resulted in both Lynx and I covered in baby food. When his condition worsened, the vet put in a feeding tube for awhile, and we inserted blenderized special food with a syringe into the feeding tube. Lynx only needed this for a
 couple of weeks and then the tube was removed. As I mentioned before, Lynx made a full recovery and went on to live 8 more happy years. I don't know if this experience would be in any way helpful to Clara, but a vet might know. Val