[Dailydrool] pill taking and dog bites

Maura DeYong mauradeyong at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 15:03:35 PDT 2009

My suggestion for taking pills is to dip the pill in salmon cream cheese, just enough to cover the pill. I think the fish scent will cover the pill scent, if there is one. My dogs love it and they take the pill right off my finger and swallow it with no problems.

I suffered a severe dog bite on my finger a few years ago, which required a trip to the ER. But before I went, I rinsed the wound out with tap water for about 15 minutes. It hurt really bad, really, really bad, but when I arrived at the ER with my hand in a towel, the doctor said that rinsing was the right thing to do, even though it is very painful. He said most people don't do that, and end up with a nasty infection.
Also make sure you are up to date on your tetanus shot, otherwise, you will need one of those as well.  The doctor said normally dog bites are not stitched, but I had to have about 7 stitches to stop the bleeding. Plus the pain pills were a necessity as well. :)