[Dailydrool] Pilling a dog, drool for Pierre, Tri-State Paws for fall, sorry a little long

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 15:20:15 PDT 2009

When we first got Colette and Nigel as pups, (and they are liter mates), they needed a ton of meds for giardia and coccidia.  (And being a cautious Vet, I had to treat  all six dogs simultaneously so that the 4 established hounds wouldn't pick up the parasites).  Ugh!!!!  Well Nigel not so bad, but that Colette was a real fighter about it, and she was only 10 weeks old.  She was the type who was very skillful of hiding the pill in her flew, and of course when I found a random pill on the floor, I really could have no clue who spit it out.  But we got through it successfully.  BUT, then Nigel and Colette both got pneumonia, and the beginning treatment was by injection and pill, and it was just so hard to get her to take them then.  And for the shots, she would start to scream when she saw  the needle even before I administered treatment.  She even did that to the Vet when he wanted to draw blood on time.  It was rather funny.  The entire hospital heard her scream, and he hadn't even touched her yet.  To the back room she went, but we all still heard her.  We got through that too, and while I rarely have to give her a pill now, she has learned that a bit of cheese or roast beef is good enough to make it go down.
Pierre has been down in the dumps all weekend, but better today than yesterday.  Still he is going to the Vet on Mon.  I was torn whether to bring him in on Sat, and opted not to, but I had a close watch on him.  He had some severe diarrhea, one huge vomit of bile, marginally elevated temperature, and lethargy.  He is getting meds and bland diet, but I am concerned since his liver crashed in January.  He had a horrible allergic outbreak and developed staph, and he was put on Cephalexin about 10 days ago.  It could be that it is not agreeing with him, but it really helped his skin and paws. My rock and a hard place dog.  He won't go to the water bowl on his own, but if I bring him a small bowl  he will drink.  His urine is pretty dark, so I am trying to keep him hydrated.  He also had a "panic attack" of sorts and weird behavior, but I will write about that another time.
Walli, you did it again.  The Tri-State Paws for fall basset Olympics was fantastic, and I thank my sister for making it possible for me to go.  I got my shopping fix thanks to Dawn and Rich,  I fell in love with soooo many hounds, Sue and Mike, great grilling, and I know there are so many names I should mention, and apology for just saying Thank you to all.  It was a bit chilly for me though, so maybe I have the same bug that Pierre has.
Peace,Love and healing drool to all,
Jackie, Pumpkin, Jean Paul, Pierre, Jellybean, Nigel, Colette, Max and Little Nikki