[Dailydrool] The intruder

Beth Howering momarroo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:29:38 PDT 2009

*Hi dere!  Arfur heer!  Well, last nite, I wuz sittin' wif daddy on da cowch
watchin' "Cops", Vito wuz chewin' cardbord, Hugo wuz sleepin', an' mama wuz
at da 'puter fingy.
We kept heerin' funny noyzes frum da kitchen - just widdle noyzes, but we
just fot Pippicat wuz owt dere.  Mama gotted up to wook and den she came bak
an' sed dere wuz a chickmunk in da kitchen.  Well, I wuz gonna get dat
chickymunk an' tell him he don't bewong by my food, but mama locked da
gate.  Patooey.  Den she came bak wif a skerry wookin' wire fingy and a
NUT!  (I WUV nuts!)  She had daddy open up da wire fingy (she cawled it a
hevvyhart twap) an' in went da nut.  Patooey agan!!  I wanted dat nut!  Den
she went bak into dat kitchen.  Now I shud tell ya dat mama puts deez widdle
cardbord twaps neer da seller steps fer mices an' fer cwikkets.  Dey wook
wike widdle skware toobs but Vito fownd owt dey iz awl stikky inside.  REELY
STIKKY!!  Now bak to my story...
Evryfing settled down an' we wuz bak to snoozin' on da cowch (I meen I wuz)
wen papa sed, "I fink yu cot dat chickmunk" (well, not zackly wike dat cuz
he tawks wike a peeple).

Vewwy sneeky-wike mama walks to da kitchen.  She coms back an' sez
eeeeewwww!  Dat chickmunk izn't eetin' dat nut!  It's eetin' da kwikkets
cawt in da gwoo twap!  YUCK!!  He shur musta bin hungry!  Ennyway, she fot
dat wen he smewws dat peenut budder on da nut he wiww go get it so she coms
back to sit by daddy (so now I have to sit in da big chare insted).  Den it
is vewy vewy kwy...er, uh..kwiee...um...dere iz no sownd at awl frum da
kitchen.  Mama goze to chek whut iz happenin' and I follow her to keep her
safe frum dat chickmunk, but she shut da gate on me.  Nex fing I heer iz
"awwwwww, pore widdle fing!" an' mama coms an' gets a pwastic bag,
disappeers rownd da corner, den coms bak an goze rite owt da dore to
owtside!  Now papa, he still watchin' "Cops", Hugo sleepin', but Vito an' me
we ar at dat gate werryin' dat da chickmunk will eet mama!!  We cud heer her
sayin' "dont werry widdle fella, I will twy to help yu"  an Vito an me cud
not figger owt whut she waz doin' owt dere.

She came in jus' wun time to get a big ol' werk gluv ov papa's.  She musta
bin gone a nickzillion minnits!  Awl we cud heer wuz her tawkin' soft to dat
chickmunk, sayin' "hope dat did not hurt, dont werry widdle fella, weel get
yu owt ov dere."

Phew!  Den she camed in an' tole papa whut happinned.  I fink I will wet her
tell it cuz she can spell an' I not so gud at dat.

Very good, Arfur, you told it pretty well so far.  That poor little chipmunk
had gotten itself completely inside the glue trap and he could not move.  I
took him outside an started to tear it open (which is not easy since it is
soooo sticky!!)  I used a leather glove in case the little guy tried to bite
- but he never did, he seemed to know I was trying to help him.  When I got
it torn open, it seemed pretty hopeless at first because every time he felt
more free, he would wiggle and get more stuck.  Bill has been working on
replacing our sidewalk pavers, so I took the trap and a trowel and sprinkled
sand on the glue trap, actually putting some on the critter too so he would
not stick.  Then, with the leather glove and trying to be gentle, I rolled
him a little at a time off the sticky part until only one leg was caught.
Now he was struggling like crazy to run away but I was afraid he would
re-stick if I let him so I pulled his little foot out of the glue then
pulled the trap away and he scampered across the lawn and ran to safety.  I
hope he was not hurt too much, but he seemed ok.  He never nipped or even
made a sound.  It felt good to see him run away.  I don't think he will come
back inside.  Arfur and Vito seemed disappointed that they could not be part
of the rescue team - though we all know what kind of rescue they were
thinking of - yummy chipmunk!!  It's funny how if I catch a mouse in these
traps, I don't feel I should rescue them, but the chipmunk really wasn't the
type of occupant a mouse is.  He was just an accidental intruder.

Told by Arfur Leadbottom and Beth Howering
*

Blossom www.dogster.com/?50296
Hugo  www.dogster.com/?443659
Arfur  www.dogster.com/?443631
Vito  www.dogster.com/dogs/804728

O Great Spirit, grant that I might not criticize my neighbor until I have
walked a mile in his moccasins.

Help feed the animals http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/tpc/ERA_040208_ARS

http://www.freekibble.com

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to
you when you have forgotten how it goes.
Unknown.