[Dailydrool] Basil update, 10 PM

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 20:04:09 PDT 2009

Thanks to everyone who's written sending Drool; I'm trying to get back to all of you individually but I've been up since 3 AM and can't keep track anymore. The vet called a few hours ago to say that Baz had developed a cardiac arrhythmia - apparently not uncommon after major surgery - and that they were putting him on an IV. Just heard a minute ago that it seems to be working; his heart rate is returning to normal. They will keep him on it overnight; the big question is whether it will stay normal after they discontinue the meds tomorrow morning. Aside from that they say he's doing well - his red blood count is not falling (a risk after a rupture and huge clot removal) and he ate a bit earlier this evening. He's sleeping now. I'm not sure if he'll be ready to come home tomorrow or not. I really want to go visit him, but he's a Velcro dog - even after 7 months he gets upset when I leave the room at home - so the vets are worried that it might upset him,
 and I agree.

Esther