[Dailydrool] Silencing barking dogs

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 17:13:53 PDT 2009

I have a curmdgeonly neighbor on one side who absolutely cannot tolerate dogs barking at all. Seriously, if a dog barks more than three woofs in a row, he gets very bent out of shape. Our neighborhood is actually extremely quiet, moreso than anywhere else I have ever lived. But there are many dogs. Occasionally a dog will bark more than three times. My two do so when I come home after an absence, though they do not bark for more than three or four minutes and this happens no more frequenty than every other day. When a dog barks noticeably (including Bo and Harley) the neighbor used to yell profanities out his window along with instructions to "shut up". This has not impressed any of the dogs. Last week he got a boat horn, which is loud enough to wake the dead. Now if a dog barks, the neighbor blasts his boat horn. The dogs (inclucing Bo and Harley) all drop silent immediately. All the people in the neighborhood also drop silent and drop whatever they are
 holding as well. The situation cracks me up. The neighbor is moving as soon as his house sells. I do not know if the neighborhood will be quieter or noisier after he moves.