[Dailydrool] Channeling Max

b.a.sorensen at att.net b.a.sorensen at att.net
Tue Oct 20 11:12:35 PDT 2009

Of all our boys, Wilbur is the one most like Max our first, very beloved Basset.  Will has many of the same mannerisms and habits and he also pulls some of the same stunts Max did.  Unfortunately, it also appears that Will is developing back problems at the same age Max did.

Today Willie pulled the most Max-like stunt yet.  When we move to this house, Max was 10 and Gretta 9.  They were used to a fenced yard, but even with no fence, had no desire to go anywhere.  We used to leave the sliding glass door open and they would wander in and out as they pleased, most of the time sunning themselves on the bank.  However, once in a while, Max would wander around to the front.  Once there, he would bang on the door with his paw.  When we opened it, he would be standing there wagging his tail with a big basset grin on his face.  'Hi Mom, I'm here, aren't I clever?'.

Nine years later, we still don't have a fence and the boys go out on long ropes, two at a time.  Today I let Willie out and then my attention was grabbed by something else.  When I got back to the door very bit later, Willie was not there, not clipped to his rope.  As I was grabbing for my shoes, I heard a bark somewhere, a Willie bark.  Wouldn't you know, when I went to the front door there was Wilbur, wagging his tail with the 'Aren't I clever?' grin on his face.  Sigh.

Our Max-of-blessed-memory is the calendar boy for September 23rd.

Barb, mom to Copper, Wilbur, Duncan, Buddy the not-a-basset and the never forgotten Max and Gretta (ATB)