[Dailydrool] My girls are leaving for California

Susan Green suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 21 17:25:01 PDT 2009

This weekend Sophie & Nancy start their trip to California.  One of Daphneyland's volunteers is flying in and driving them to their new home.

I am starting to get all their things together for the trip.  I put Sophie's stuffies thru the laundry earlier today.  I wanted them to be clean, but to have a little of Holly's scent on them.  And I have to find something to send with Nancy that doesn't make any noise to scare her.  I'll probably take a blankie and start sleeping with it so my scent is on it for her.  I learned that trick from Dawn.  She made sure that the stuffies she sent with Holly & Isabella had her scent on them.

They both have on new martingale collars with name tags for the trip.  After Nancy's little adventure last week I decided it would be easier to just have to put a leash on her rather than fool with a slip lead.

I will have all their meals prepared so that Linda just has to add warm water to soften up the kibble, and zip lock bags with their biscuits.  I will already have the biscuits in smaller pieces, the way they like them :)   And there will be a jar of peanut butter b/c that's one of Nancy's favorite treats.

I spent some time out in the yard with them yesterday trying to get some new photos.  Nancy was the most cooperative b/c she ran to a corner and laid down.  Sophie kept coming towards me, just wouldn't sit still.  Then she laid down, but turned her back towards me...LOL

If there is ANYONE in Dawn's area that is looking for another Basset Hound, take a look at Sophie when she gets there.  They have estimated her age to be 8 or 9, but I don't think she is nearly that old.  She LOVES playing with stuffies and runs the Basset 500 with Holly.  On the few days where it was a little cooler they would run the Basset 2500....back and forth thru the yard, into the house and straight thru to the front door, then back thru the entire house to the yard so they could start all over again.  They made me tired just watching them :)   Sophie is a little love bug, as soon as she sees you she starts wagging her tail.  She is small for a Basset Hound, probably only 35 lbs, but not skinny anymore.  The puppy mill where she was rescued from bred "toy" Basset Hounds.  She loves to lick you, usually behind my knee b/c I'm so tall and she's so short.  She is fully house trained.

And my precious Nancy will be looking for her forever home also.  She is just a sweetie.  They estimate her age as 11 or 12, but I don't think that's accurate either.  She still considers her crate as her safe space, but has been coming out and walking around the kitchen more.  And she now sleeps on a dog bed at night.  She waits until I go into my bedroom and then she comes out of her crate and gets on the bed next to Sophie's pillows.  She is also fully house trained.

I will miss both of them, but am happy knowing that they are getting a chance of having their own forever home.  They both deserve it after the hell they lived thru at that puppy mill.  And there is nobody better than Dawn to work with Nancy and get her out of her shell.  After last week we know that she understands that not all humans are bad, and that she is willing and capable of trusting someone.

I never knew that 12 weeks could go sooooooooooo fast.

Suz
Holly Noelle - I'm staying right here
Sophie - I will wag my tail for a forever home
Nancy - I'm a good girl and looking for a home too