[Dailydrool] full circle

Bonnie Garner parrothead at ripleycable.net
Fri Oct 23 06:44:12 PDT 2009

You never know what direction life will take you with the help of a basset.  13 years ago the DH and I, after seeing an ad in the newspaper, traveled the back roads of a neighboring county to an old farmhouse where we saw our Heart Dog, Stella, for the first time.  All I knew is I wanted a basset hound.  Rescue?  Never heard of it?  Stella quickly took our hearts and our home, and we had 10 wonderful years with her.
Her loss was sudden and my grief inconsolable.  I never thought I would stop crying.  Six months passed and I was still crying and talking to her every single day.  Then one day she talked back.  I had this strong desire to go to the computer and Google in "basset hound rescue".  I still had no idea an organization existed.
Two years later we had managed to gather in four rescue bassets, I did one transport and one home visit, and I found the Drool.
And yesterday, on my 52nd birthday, Debby and I returned to the place it all began and loaded in the BUV three breeding females and one male for Bellyrubs Basset Rescue.  I saw the place that I first saw my Stella.  Run down now and muddy, fence delapidated and an electric wire keeping the dogs in.  For 13 years they have been breeding and selling basset hounds.  Last year the husband died and the wife is no longer able to properly care for the dogs and through some twist of fate I heard about it.  After talking with her she agreed to relinquish them into rescue and now they will all four be on their way to foster homes over the weekend.
Stella, baby, I know you had a big hand in all this.  We have come full circle in 13 years.  Thank you.
Right now I can't say enough good and wonderful things about Leanne Potts and Bellyrubs.  They have stepped up when resources are lacking and foster homes are in short supply.  I don't know how they have pulled this one off, but I am so thankful that they were able to.  I am in awe of all rescue organizations.

Bonnie
Slave to Stanley, Beachbaby, Lowretta, Lillie Pearl, J.D. (ATB), Stella (ATB), Begonia (ATB)