[Dailydrool] Adults & Puppies

Annette Mucci canine.inspirations at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 06:40:12 PDT 2009

We just went through the transition of bringing puppies home with our adult boxers in the past 2 years.

Maya and Cassie just turned 10 and 9.  Sophie just turned 1 and Schroeder is 2.  We wanted the same thing from the basset puppies.  To learn all the behaviors from the older dogs and hopefully have an easier time housetraining because they can see and mock what the older dogs do.

Time, lots of patience, encouragement, and extra love to the older dogs so they think they are not being replaced seem to work for me.  A few extra stuffies and some special treats for the boxers only too!  I was pretty careful with intermingling the boxers with the basset pups until they gained some weight and could hold their own.  I wanted everyone to get along and play right off the bat, but I had to allow them to adjust in their own time despite my excitement of having a puppy.

Maya was really put out when we got the puppies, but we just kept everyone included and would give lots of praise when the boxers played good with the puppies.  Maya had no tolerance for puppy antics and still doesn't. I also think that the older dogs don't want any part of those razor puppy teeth!

They have all taught each other new tricks and habits, and it has been fun watching them grow together as a pack, as well as experiencing their own individual personalities.

Good luck with your transition and have fun with your new puppy! Keep us all posted!!!!