[Dailydrool] alternative collars

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:06:37 PDT 2009

To make this Basset related the dog in question lives with three Bassets.He
recently had a small mass removed from the front of his (long)leg, altho the
surgery site was almost in the elbow joint.
This dog is too nuts to wear a regular plastic e-collar. He would go psycho
and besides our house is too small,too full of STUFF, not to mention Bassets
and people, to have a big dog crashing about trying to tear the collar off.
So I borrowed a Bite-Not collar, which is flat, stiff, acts like a brace on
the neck, so the dog cannot bend his neck to reach the wound site. I don't
know if they come in different sizes but I think unless the wound were right
in front it wouldn't work on a Basset.
It did not, by the way, work on the Belgian either,who somehow found a way
around it.
SO today we went to PetSmart and bought an inflatable  collar called a
Pro-Collar. Cooper hates it, but you know what? He cannot reach his leg, it
is soft and smooshy when he bangs into something.He can get his head down to
eat, and drink, and he can lay down to sleep. But he cannot lick that leg.
This collar would work with a Basset. Altho they might kick it when they
walk, I don't think so. I think it would be a good investment.

Just a suggestion. And take the dog with you.
Oh, and you squeeze the little tube you blow into. Inflating them is a lot
of fun.

MomPerson (puff puffpuff puff pufff) Nigel (why she lips bloo?) Llewis (I
dunno, whut she doin wif a inner toob?) Conley (Lemme play wif it lemme play
wif it!)  Cooper (UH OH)