[Dailydrool] Pumpkin/squash

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Sep 30 05:17:37 PDT 2009

<<I would suggest you buy a butternut squash. It's pale orange, oblong. Cut
it in half long ways, place it cut side down on a baking sheet lined with
parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes
until it is soft when poked with a fork. Scoop out the seeds when cooled.
Use it in any recipe for canned pumpkin. I used to make this for my cat's
homemade food.>>

I was also going to suggest squash as a good option. But you don't have to
heat up the oven to do this. Halve or even quarter the  pumpkin/squash, take
out the seeds, and place it cut side down in a microwave-safe dish. Add
about a half-inch of water to the pan, and microwave it on high until the
flesh is soft (this will take some time--at least 10 minutes, I think, but
check on it periodically). Then you can scrape out the flesh and mash it up
for houndie (or human) consumption. It's the easiest, and I think best, way
to do squash.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets