[Dailydrool] Myelogram

AM am at pute.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 05:15:14 PDT 2009

We lost our first basset, following a myelogram. Poor Hoffy didn't even get
as far as the surgery as when the ink started to go everywhere they
retreated from the operation site. She never came back round from the
operation properly unfortunately. It was an awful time for her and for us
:0(

Talking to the vets afterwards they told us she might have been poisoned by
the myelogram ink and only then I asked if there had been any other way to
locate which disc which needed operating on. Only then did they say yes -
that a scan could have revealed which disc should be operated on instead.
Why they couldn't have explained the risks and the options to me BEFORE the
operation I don't know but I so wish she'd had a scan instead - as I suspect
she would probably have survived. It was a very sad time for us and I still
can't bear to think about what happened but I have forced myself to write
this in case it helps anyone else who has to look at surgical options for
their dog.

I know the above was a bad experience but knowing the options can help
others make informed choices and disc operations can fix dogs up like new
when done with minimal risk and in timely manner.

Bests

Son