[Dailydrool] hot spot vs lick granuloma for Daisy

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 05:08:04 PDT 2009

I got in late on Daisy's hot spot, and am wondering, partially because of
placement and partially because of the description of her behavior, whether
it is a hot spot or a lick granuloma. The two are quite different and caused
by totally different things-- hotspots are relatively easy to cure and
appear mostly on the trunk or body of the dog, but lick granulomas come
under the category of psychological activity and are horrible to treat,
nearly impossible to deal with unless you are with the dog 24/7. There is a
good article on lick granulomas at
http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3385
But they are caused by  ??  well, no one seems to know FOR SURE. I know show
dogs who have worn cones every second they are outside the ring because
otherwise they self-mutilate, and I know pets who are in perfectly good
homes, loved passionately, cared for with dedication and still have issues
with lick granulomas.
Removing them surgically seems to be the treatment of choice, and trying to
find ways to re-direct the dog's energy when he or she is alone or has
nothing else to do.
Anyway glad to hear Daisy's leg is on the mend and here's hoping it heals
quickly and forever.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper