[Dailydrool] Daphneyland update - 9/1

Susan Green suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 05:30:46 PDT 2009

 This is what Dawn had to say early this morning.......

Suz

As day #5 of the Station Fire winds down - there are so many things on my mind in these wee hours of the morn -

The fire is climbing yet another range as it slowly ticks its way directly at us on the north west front.  We are still beyond evacuation area, and the amazing fire brigades tell us not to panic - and it's hard to watch as flames leap in the air bounding over another hurdle to claim all that is before them.  The highway is littered with fleeing wildlife that ran to escape one demon - to be mowed down by another.  Somehow I feel that was not the great plan.

We are holding our own - our emergency evacuation plans, which have been set up for 7 years are that we would evac to my parents house in Tarzana and emergency team leader, Marie will becalling all volunteers who have logged into the daphneyland yahoo groups website and posted their info.  Here from the property we would evacuate all animals with the assistance of several neighbors as during an evacuation it's unlikely that non area residents could get through.

Volunteers arriving at the evac location in Tarzana, would have some supplies to gather, and set up an area for us to offload, walk, water and potty hounds that will need some calming down, while additional volunteers call the emergency foster lists and we assign our emergency foster dogs to arriving foster homes or transport volunteers.  If you'd like to be on these teams, please make sure to log into the daphneyland yahoogroups website and post your info - calling the ranch or emailing me directly will not give the information to Marie (in Arkansas) or Suz (in Texas) - it needs to be on the yahoogroup.

So many offers of assistance and prayers - offers of fostering and adoption calls - keeping the hounds to their regular routines to keep them calm and happy while a DC10 drops water in front of us and the belly of the plane is so low over us as they lift out that it feels you can touch it.  There is something extremely wrong with the world when you think of a DC10 in the terms of needing a bellyrub.

The amazing team work of all of you out there working so hard for the hounds - Marie, Suz, Ha, Bruce, Sherrie & Jim Strachan, Sandy and the Red Bay Basset Gang, the West Coast BROAD affiliates; Golden Gate, Golden Empire, BHRSC, San DIego - Kim - Robin of AZ - love ya guys!  Candy and the Club Mutt crowd... Shoefly Bassets, BHCSC.com - the list just grows and grows - thank you all so much.

If all the slinging drool that's going out there arrives at the same time, I think perhaps we could roll the Station right out the door - and maybe have a bath day to wash all the smoke and soot right out of here in one fell swoop.... Say - anyone know if maybe the DC 10 could just drop bath day on us?  Hmmmmmmm.

And with snoozing hounds all tucked in - awaiting to see what treasurers Aunti RIta will bring in the morning - I shall do a last property check - gaze at the fire line and plume - the winds are still, the night is silent with the exception of coyotes - the wildlife is taking a hard toll here - 105,000 acres.  Its...... very difficult to put into words.

We are safe as of 2:44 a.m.
Dawn and all of us - here and those dear.
Daphneyland - bathing by DC-10????

We are currently facing the Station FIre - email will be forwarded to the apropriate volunteer, please be patient.
Donations for emergency funding can be made at:
www.firstgiving.com/ActonFire_BassetRescueNetwork

In the event of an emergency - please call 661 269-2682
www.barniatdaphneyland.org