[Dailydrool] Daphneyland Update

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 15:18:52 PDT 2009

Dawn called this morning and the sky was actually blue at Daphneyland  and
the hounds were able to get outside and breathe the freshest air  they've
had in days.  We talked about reports on the news that, while  the fire was
22% contained, the authorities were warning that was not under  control and a
little wind could make things worse than they have  been.   I just received
an email from Dawn that the winds have kicked  up and smoke is blowing in
again.   We just need to be thankful that  there were a few hours of
semi-fresh air for the furkids.  Daphneyland  is still on alert for evacuation.

Speaking of thanks...  Daphneyland was notified of three senior hounds  in
shelters in the LA area yesterday afternoon and within a short time, we had
volunteers who were willing to go to the shelters this morning, pull the
Bassets  and temporarily foster these hounds until they can be moved up to
Daphneyland.  The hearts and gates at Daphneyland will not close to needy
Bassets no matter how tough conditions are and we are so appreciative of  all
the volunteers.

We'd also like to thank the marvelous people who are making donations and
sending items from the list that are needed.

We can't thank all the wonderful people who are giving us emotional
support.  Our phones and computers have been working 24/7 and will until we  get
word that the fires are totally under control.

On the lighter side, whoever came up with the idea of unlimited long
distance calling was an absolute genius and I'd like to find that person  and
have Megan Mariah give them a big Basset kiss, completely with lots of
slobbery Basset Drool.

I'd like to add my personal comment that I've always believed  that there
was a Basset Guardian Angel but I've learned through this that there  are
hundreds of Basset Angels who are helping Daphneyland.  I just can't  say
"thank you" enough times.

Marie

ITEMS NEEDED AT DAPHNEYLAND:

Eyewash (Available at any drugstore or Walmart, Costco, etc.)
BNP Eye Ointment (Available at Walmart) and any type of ophthalmolic eye
salve
Pure aloe vera  - (no dyes in it)
Cranberry capsules
L-Glutamine powder
NEW ITEM  ON LIST:  Air Purifiers (to be used in the  kennels)

Gift cards for Walmart or Costco would be appreciated as they could be used
 for items not on the current list.

The stuffed toys the hounds play and cuddle with are all saturated with
smoke and will have to be thrown out.  Dawn suggested that instead of  paying
retail prices for toys, anyone interested in buying toys purchase them  from
_www.dog.com_ (http://www.dog.com/)  or  _www.petage.com_
(http://www.petage.com/) .

If you would like to send anything to Daphneyland, please use the following
 address, which is Dawn's parents' home:

BaRNI/Daphneyland
c/o Jim and Cathy Smith
5643 Shirley Avenue
Tarzana, CA 91356

A First Giving page has been started at
_http://www.firstgivhttp://www.firsthttp://www.firsthttp:_ (http://www.firstgiving.com/Acton
Fire_BassetRescueNetwork)  for  those who wish to make a donation.  If you prefer to mail a
check, please  send it to the above address.  Please do not mail cash.

If you have any questions about items that can be used for the Daphneyland
hounds, please contact me off the list.

Thank you so very much for your prayers and Drool.