[Dailydrool] Question - Lung Abcess

Patti Merlo belleheidi at msn.com
Sat Sep 5 05:18:37 PDT 2009

I am almost afraid to ask this question, has anyone had any experience with a lung abcess?  Our 13-1/2 year old Belle had some neck pain so we took xrays to see what was going on.  Of course the x-rays not only showed what was going on with her neck but also a spot by her lung.  Vet's first question - is she coughing? - No.  Ran a CBC - results non-remarkable.  We did 2 weeks of amoxi, recheck CBC & x-ray, same results on CBC and the area on the x-ray was less dense.  Ran another 2 weeks of antibiotics this time Baytril.  Just redid the x-ray and the area is denser and a little larger.  Belle is showing no 'clinical signs' - lungs sound clear, white blood cells are not elevated, not running a fever and is acting her normal 13 yr old self.

Our option to do a core biopsy, needle into thorasic cavity to see what is actually going on.  We are scared to death.  If we did not run the xrays for her neck we would never had known about this issue.  We are weighing our options trying to decide.  The cost of the procedure is not an issue ($600-700), we are afraid of the possibility of dropping a lung at 13-1/2.  If it were to come back as anything other than a viral infection, I don't think we would even consider putting her thru any surgery at her age.  Belle has numerous lumps and bumps all over her body (sebaseous cysts & fatty tumors), she had back surgery 5 yrs ago and we are seeing her slow downing but she still gets her little puppy outburts (although few & far between).  Right now she is sitting next to me and making a fuss - how dare you sit at the computer, you are supposed to be paying attention to me!  We think she is starting a little with the senility, mosting barking for no reason.

So back to my question, wondering if anyone has any experience with an abcessed lung or the core biopsy procedure.  The decision is ours to make along with our very trusted vet but just wondering what experiences any of you may have had especially at this age.

Thanks in advance, it is going to be a long weekend of debate at our household.

Patti
Owned by Belle & Heidi