[Dailydrool] Young Charlie on his own

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Sep 5 14:05:44 PDT 2009

This week young Charlie is getting to see what being an only dog
feels like. Over the last couple of weeks we've had major plumbing
issues that on Monday and Tuesday resulted in a crew of three coming
over to replace the entire waste-line pipe from the basement through
the back yard and on out to the alley. At one point we had a waist-
deep ditch running the length of the back yard, making it look as if
we were preparing to reenact a WWI trench warfare battle. But I was
very happy to let the plumber destroy our backyard if the end result
was going to be the use of our plumbing again. We were without
bathroom, laundry, and kitchen facilities for eleven long days. Those
eleven days featured TV dinners (no dishes to wash) and a bucket,
plastic bags, and scented candles in the bathroom. It wasn't good.

Once the pipe had been laid in the ditch, we had to wait for codes to
come out and inspect it. That meant we had to leave the automatic
back gate open, which wouldn't have been a problem except for the
fact that the crew had removed the middle section of picket fence
that keeps the dogs in the back yard proper and out of the parking
area that the automatic back gate opens onto. Young Charlie knows
that feral cats live in the alley beyond that back gate, and feral
cats are tremendous fun to chase. So he lives for the moment when he
can slip into the alley and start looking for cats to chase. It's
happened only once (careless handyman left the gate open), but he's
sure it'll happen again someday, and he wants to be in the right
place to take advantage of the opportunity when it arises.

But young Charlie wasn't the problem with the temporary lack of back
yard fencing. We have a small fenced-in front yard that we can make
do with during emergencies like this. One of us has to be out with
the dogs in the front yard at all times to ensure that no one
unlatches the front gate as a joke or foolishly tries to pat the dogs
through or over the fence, but it's not too much of a hassle letting
the dogs use the front yard when they have to go and standing around
on the porch until they do go.

The front yard with mandatory supervision, however, just isn't enough
for our Elsinore, who got her very own doggie door a year ago this
month. Elsinore very quickly embraced the whole doggie door culture
and spends her days going in and out of the house at will to check on
things. To be trapped inside with me as reluctant doorman ("You don't
*have* to go out again, and you know it") would have made her
miserable. She would have climbed the walls with boredom and
inactivity. And when Elsinore is miserable, everyone else is doubly
so because she doesn't believe in suffering alone. She believes that
the more miserable she can make me with her misery, the more likely I
am to give her what she wants. And she's often right.

Charlie, on the other hand, doesn't have a need to pop in and out of
the house every half hour to make a quick sweep of the yard and shout
obscenities at the neighbors. He spends his morning asleep on his bed
on "our" desk, and the afternoon dozing in various beds around the
house, in the patch of sunshine that creeps along my office floor,
and in the sun on the back deck. He still manages to do something
naughty every day, but he isn't anywhere near as active as he was
just a couple years ago. He's gone from being a destructive puppy who
never napped to a mildly disobedient adult who naps away the better
part of the day. Who would've thought?

To keep everyone sane during this week of indoor plumbing but no
outdoor fencing, Elsinore's been staying at our friend Jennifer's.
Jennifer not only has Elsinore's basset friend Owen, but she also has
a doggie door and, even better, a chain link fence in her back yard.
Elsinore has a six-foot privacy fence that keeps her from seeing most
of what's going on. It's very frustrating for her. She loves
Jennifer's fence, through which she can see and comment knowledgeably
on everything that goes on in that neighborhood. I've spoken with
Jennifer several times this week, and she says Elsinore's a happy
girl, going in and out of the house whenever she wants, beholden to
no human for her relative freedom.

So young Charlie has been spending the week as an only dog, and he's
doing all right with it, but he'd rather Elsinore were here again. I
explained to both of them what the plan for the week was going to be,
and I've told him that Elsinore will be coming home tomorrow because
the plumber restored the fencing last night. But just because you
know what the plans are doesn't mean they make you happy. Charlie's
been subdued all week, not his usual merry self. He hasn't asked me
to play with him and his toys even once. In fact, he hasn't gone
through his toy basket at all. He seems to be enjoying the extra
attention an only dog gets, but it's like part of him has sort of
shut down. Ken calls him a mama's boy because he doesn't seem to be
able to go anywhere I'm not. But I think deep down young Charlie is
really Elsinore's boy.

When I return from a trip, Charlie usually greets me enthusiastically
at first but then obviously ignores me for a day to let me know he
wasn't happy about my leaving him. It'll be interesting to see if he
treats Elsinore the same way when she comes home tomorrow.

Elizabeth