[Dailydrool] Ear ablation

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Sep 5 14:10:33 PDT 2009

There does come a point, with ear problems, where topical medications will
not work. I'm no vet, but I can imagine that polyps need to come out before
they cause more trouble. If they could become cancerous, I think I'd go with
the ablation.

An ear ablation surgery is very painful. Afterwards the dog will be on
doggie morphine. But the pain does not last long, and the dog may be so much
happier that the surgery will be worth it. Our Alexis perked up amazingly
after the pain of her constant ear infection was gone. She never seemed to
look back.

It is unlikely that the dog will have much hearing in that ear. Mostly it
will be able to hear loud noises through that ear. At least, that's our
experience with Alexis. You had to get her attention by getting on the good
side when you talked.

Do I wish Lex had never had to have the surgery? Yes. Was it helpful when
we'd done all that could be done? Another yes. Losing some hearing was a
small price to pay for a dog that was in constant, deep pain.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets