[Dailydrool] benadryl

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Wed Sep 9 12:09:33 PDT 2009

Hi Judith,

The recommended dose for benadryl is 1-2 mg every 8 hours in dogs.I have never had any of my many furkidz ever have a bad reaction to benadyrl though I know that it is possible.

If my Sadie Maye (60lbs) is having a really bad reaction I will start her on 50mg then up it to 100mg if it is not helping within an hour.  The other med I give her is 20mg of Pepcid AC (you can use Zantac and I use generics).  The reason for this is in an allergic reaction there is a release of H1 and H2 histamines.  Benadryl will cover the H1 and the Pepcid will cover the H2 histamines.

I have an allergic reaction to bees and wasps and this is what the ER doc recommended I do.   I ran it by my new vet with the reasons why and he completely agrees.  In fact he said he learned something new.

It was recommended that I start using 1 tbsp of "local" natural honey for Sadie as a natural way to desensitize her.
( http://www..all-natural-dog-treat.com/dogallergies.html)
I am also sending you the anti-itch shampoo rinse that I use.

I would just watch Dice's lip to see if it changes.  If you are really worried then of course have him seen.

Sending  Dice no itchies drool,
Karen and The Dog House Gang