[Dailydrool] Loss of the big guy

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 13:56:16 PDT 2009

MacKenzie and Gallagher have lost their big brother, the near 14 year old Golden, Cysco. ?The bassets definitely kept him as young as possible for the last year. ?When his arthritis wouldn't let him run and play, he played with them on the floor. ?Even then he was bigger. ?He approached 130 lbs. at his biggest (diet got him down to 108). ?He was just BIG. ?Arthritis, hip problems, failing kidneys and "doggy dementia" were taking their toll. ?He could not get up without two of us lifting him and could only walk a few feet. ?He was happy most of his life, but definitely feeling the pain. ?The night before he left, Gallagher snuggled with him all night. ?So we met with the vet yesterday and made the difficult decision to let him go to the bridge. ?He's there now, we're sure beating up on his brother "Ebert" (litter mate) who passed 2 years ago. ? We were worried about moving him all the way from Connecticut to North Carolina. ?It was tough, but he adapted. ?Up until 2 months ago, he'd join the "short ones" for a walk or two, though not as far. ?Gallagher keeps sniffing around looking for him, but MacKenzie usually finds something to distract him. ?We promised Cysco that we'd adopt a senior basset to take over where he started. ?We'll be in our new house in a few weeks and will have our 'home visit'. ?