[Dailydrool] Daphneyland Update 9/15

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 12:18:58 PDT 2009

Here's the latest update from Dawn at Daphneyland.

Marie

I am constantly amazed at the good will and outpouring of all animal lovers
 everywhere.
This weekend, the fire behind us, smoke seriously minimized with the help
of mother nature and hard working air purifiers -  donations for the hounds
arriving and the goodwill of an incredible network was so very heart
warming, I  have to share - and I hope I don not leave anyone out - please let me
know if I  did.....

Friday on bleach down Janis from Havasu arrived to lend much needed helping
 hands and along with alumni Molly, spent the night and helped open up so
many  packages that Jim brought up from Tarzana.  It was so amazing!  Tri
State sent a large toy donation along with dog beds, air purifiers from Eleri
in  France, and D. Jones - supplies from the Chamberlains, Marshalls, Danas,
 Clothing and supplies from Georgie in honor of Miss Becky - and among all
these packages ..... birthday presents????  I'll have to get back to that
later!!
Denise drove in for the weekend from Tracy (No Cal) and Kim & Keith
Kuwahara stopped by on their way to Las Vegas with a truckload of stuff for the
hounds!
Aunti Rita arrived fro dinner/close down duty and at 1:30 in the morning,
after romping and playing, eating and being sung to, our violin fronted old
man  (15 years) Turbo - went to bed, snuggled in and just crossed over to
the rainbow  bridge.  As passings do tend to come in three's - we've alerted
all our  houndage that our three is now complete - Turbo joined Molly and
feral Ross and  we are not ready to say goodbye to any other hounds anytime
soon.

Saturday morning found Ha Adolfo ( _www.basicneeds911.org_
(http://www.basicneeds911.org/)  ) and  Stephanie (Doxie Rescue) as well as Jim Smith
arriving with 8 55 gallon water  barrels.  These water barrels are being converted
by addiing a tap and  turning them into water storage containers all over
the property - they have a  double purpose.  Water to rinse and refill for
drinking in the yards where  hose bibs are not easily reachable, as well as
emergency water storage just  incase.  We have a total of 12 barrels now,
which make it so much easier to  use all the side yards and keep fresh water in
each and everyone of them.   Jim had picked up the water barrels from a
donor, along with some wonderful  doggie shampoo.  Cement blocks, facilitated by
our wonderful friendly truck  driver helps to elevate these barrels for
proper gravity flow.  Jim &  SHerrie Strachan arrived with donations as well as
transporting in Sadie Sue who  was being fostered during the fire - a
Lancaster girl.
Chris A arrived with another truck of items needed and to help the hounds -
 all the way from Sacramento!!
The day was a long one and the hounds were bedded down by 1:30 a.m.

Sunday morning and here came the Strachans helping to awake the  hounds at
8:30 a.m., and breakfast started.when Stephanie came back for day #2  -
Jim who was spending the weekend as a Daphneyland Warrior began projects of
 distributing the water barrels, cleaning debris and various projects
around the  property including forming and pouring a slab for the generators -

Best Friends Brigade began arriving headed by Robin and her amazing people,
 joined in by Bruce and the So Cal Basset Hound Meetup Group  volunteers,
Barni/Daphneyland volunteers came out.  Candi & Rob  Hollman of Club Mutt
arrived, Linda Miller lead a kennel cleaning crew made up  of many volunteers
and the bathing began - Basset Hound Rescue of So Cal  affiliates arrived
with Nancy Timmons in the lead, Millan Foundation volunteers  arrived and thus
we had 5 bathing stations, Big Sunday volunteers arrived and as  the
goodwill of animal lovers was pouring out, volunteers were assigned to an  area and
they disappeared to scrub, rinse, mop, and of course the squealing when  it
was thought a snake was sighted (turned out to be a lizard - )  Hounds
were leash walked by volunteers as normally they are all out playing during the
 day - but freshly washed hounds have to dry before playtime, so leash
walking  was in order. I saw many cameras - if anyone has photos please share
them!!

Volunteers arrived with items - pillows, simple green, bleach, aloe,
cranberry caps, vitamin C, towels, muzzles, toys - the pile continued to grow as
we used items straight from the donation pile!

During the course of the day we had 1 new hound come in, from a foster
situation during the fire - and that same hound scored herself a home by
afternoon.  Another 3 bassets found homes during the day and we are happy  to
report that Bridgette, Chopper and Marsh mellow (another fire victim) all
found homes on Sunday!!

By Monday morning at breakfast we were at 85 hounds, -2- owner surrenders
arrived today thus dinner and close down found us at 87.  The numbers
change daily yet one constant remains - the hounds could never enjoy the
wonderful time they have at the ranch without all your support.

You guys have me utterly speechless at all the hard work, generosity and
goodwill that has made it possible to say - Thank you.  Thank you. Thank  you.
The clean and happy hounds have much to say - and if you come on up, they
will thank you in person.
Wear drool attire - you'll need it!!

Dawn and everyone here at
_www.barniatdaphneyland.org_ (http://www.barniatdaphneyland.org/)

We are  currently recovering from the Station Fire - email will be
forwarded to the  appropriate volunteer, please be patient. Please help us bath the
hounds on  9/13/09!
Donations for emergency funding can be made at:
_www.firstgiving.com/ActonFire_BassetRescueNetwork_
(http://www.firstgiving.com/ActonFire_BassetRescueNetwork)